My New Year Resolutions — for 2018
No, that’s not a typo… I am talking about my plans for 2018!
On the eve of this New Year, sifting through a heap of mostly similar and boring ‘New Year Resolution’ themed writing on the internet, I chanced upon an interesting article by Benjamin Hardy on why we should plan for 2018 and not 2017. As with any good article, it resonated with me because it talks about a problem I have. It talks about planning and how most of us suck at it. The article also stresses upon the importance of committed decisions.
Now, I am a self-help junkie. People like Jack Canfield and Tony Robbins should just adopt me and they would get enough material to write another best seller for sure! Based on my learnings from my extensive reading, my personal take on why many New Year’s resolutions fail is that we are not held accountable for them. Though most of our ‘Resolutions’ revolve around common themes like weight loss, financial discipline, or random pursuits of happiness, there really is no one evaluating our goals. So, how do we make ourselves accountable to these targets?
I decided to do it here it the most public and painful way possible.
I share my Goals for the next 24 months with you here. I will also share the progresses and the failures here.
- Yes — this one tops my chart too. I am on a break from work due to a chronic case of Fybromyalgia. In addition to this, I have also been suffering from Sinusitis for the last 10 years. My immunity is shot to hell. My 4 year old niece sneezes and I am down with a throat infection. The problem with this kind of illness is, we don’t think its so bad to really ‘take care’ of it. But my moment of awakening came when I could not stand up straight without crying out.
- I weigh 73 Kg as on date. My doctor has given me an ultimatum to weigh no more than 60Kg
- Again, in the last one decade, I have been trying Yoga “on again, off again”. But like with anything else, to derive long term benefit, you need to stick with it.
- 2018: To complete my TTC in Yoga
- And to be a certified trainer in Yoga, I need to invest solid time in first learning and practicing as an individual. My target for 2017 is to complete a month long training in Dharamsala.
- I am married to a guy who loves travelling. Funnily enough my brother also married someone who loves travelling. Being with them, I too have begun to truly appreciate travelling. But here’s the challenges — Bad planning not allowing me to take of extended time for travelling from work; falling sick so often deters me from travelling and of course, money.
- 2018 — Do 2 international travels. And for this, since our countries are so narrow minded, I need to renew my passport ;P
- 2017 — explore 3 different corners of the country
- Do one solo trip
- I make tall claims about enjoying writing. But I do so sporadically , at best. This year I intend to write regularly ( I will start with 2 articles a month and progress to 1 per week).
- Aadya celebrates her 5th Bday on August 8th, 2017. I intend to gift her a story book written by me, just for her
So, these are my Big plans for the coming years. I will continuously share my progress with you. Please do join me in this journey. Do let me know what your Big Ones are.
Happy 2018, everyone 😉